Tory Lanez is scheduled to return to court on May 8, for a sentencing hearing that could send him to prison for over 22 years, for shooting fellow rapper Megan Thee Stallion.
As his court date nears, the Canadian hip-hop star posted an open letter on Instagram Friday to Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón, proclaiming his innocence, requesting a new trial, and slamming prosecutors.
“I write this letter with the utmost humility, love, and respect for the remarkable stance you’ve taken in regards to fighting for the justice of Black and Brown minorities,” Lanez began.
The rapper, whose real name is Daystar Peterson, then criticized the prosecutors who tried the case against him.
“Today I take a stance as an innocent Black man, wrongfully convicted of a crime I did not commit,” he continued. “I’ve watched two district attorneys from your office by the names of Kathy Ta and Alex Bott unlawfully misuse their authority to hide and suppress any and all exculpatory evidence that exonerates me, or furthers my innocence. I was completely robbed and deprived of a fair trial.”
Related Story: Tory Lanez Sentencing Delayed Again as Rapper’s Lawyers Push for New Trial
The “It Doesn’t Matter” performer went on to say his legal team plans to argue for a new trial at the upcoming hearing.
“Not only do I owe it to myself to fight for my freedom, but I owe it to my 6-year-old child, my family, fans, and most importantly, the hundreds of thousands of Black and Hispanic minorities that cannot adequately fight for themselves,” he wrote.
During the trial, Houston rapper Megan Thee Stallion testified that Lanez told her “dance b–ch” and began to shoot at her after they left a pool party at Kylie Jenner’s house in the early morning hours of July 12, 2020, and had an argument.
“I’m in shock. I’m scared. I hear the gun going off, and I can’t believe he’s shooting at me,” she told the court.
The rapper, whose real name is Megan Pete, added that Lanez begged her not to say anything because he was already on probation and offered her $1 million to keep quiet.
Lanez has maintained his innocence throughout the case.
Related Story: Tory Lanez Apologized Profusely After Megan Thee Stallion Shooting, Prosecutor Says
On Dec. 23, 2022, he was found guilty of assault with a semiautomatic firearm; discharging a firearm with gross negligence; and carrying a loaded unregistered firearm in a vehicle; along with the special allegation of using a firearm to inflict great bodily injury.
He’s remained jailed since.
Following his conviction, Lanez was scheduled to be sentenced on Jan. 27. The date was then moved to Feb. 28, before being shifted to April 10, then April 17, and later May 8.
The delays came after he replaced his original attorney, George Mgdesyan, with famed defense lawyer Jose Baez in January. Baez won an acquittal for Casey Anthony in her 2011 trial for killing her young daughter, Caylee Anthony.
Lanez’s new legal team filed a motion last month claiming “the court erred on numerous questions of law.” Among their complaints, jurors were “erroneously allowed” to view a September 2020 Instagram comment attributed to Lanez about the shooting.
The attorneys are urging the judge to throw out the guilty verdict, which prosecutors oppose.
During the April 17 hearing, Lanez’s attorneys told the judge they plan to file a supplement to their motion for a new trial, which is another reason the sentencing has been delayed.
The judge in the case recently lifted a gag order — which allowed Lanez to post his open letter on Instagram.
The rapper faces up to 22 years and eight months in state prison, and deportation.
Tory Lanez Writes Open Letter to LA County D.A. Trashing Prosecutors
- The View’s Ana Navarro answers claims she’s been using Ozempic to aid in her weight loss journey
- The Malicious Yo-yo
- April Lyda says she loves and supports her daughter
- 10,000+ Fruit Packaging Jobs In Canada, Apply June 2023
- President Joe Biden Takes a Tumble at U.S. Air Force Academy Graduation Ceremony, Reportedly Unhurt |