Sting is an English musician and actor. He was famous for being the frontman, songwriter, and bassist for the new wave rock band “The Police” from 1977 until their breakup in 1986. He launched a solo career in 1985 and has included elements of rock, jazz, reggae, classical, new-age, and worldbeat in his music. In 1979, Sting made his theatrical film debut in the drama film Quadrophenia as ‘Ace Face’. He made his first TV show appearance as ‘Himself’ on Rock Goes to College in 1979. He is currently married to his wife, Trudie Styler since 1992.
Sting has received 17 Grammy Awards: he won Song of the Year for “Every Breath You Take”, three Brit Awards, including Best British Male Artist in 1994 and Outstanding Contribution in 2002, a Golden Globe, an Emmy, and four nominations for the Academy Award for Best Original Song. With The Police, he became one of the world’s best-selling music artists. Solo and with the Police combined, he has sold over 100 million records. His solo studio albums are The Dream of the Blue Turtles (1985), Sacred Love (2003), The Last Ship (2013), My Songs (2019), and The Bridge (2021), among others.
Who are the parents of Sting?
Sting was born with the birth name of Gordon Matthew Thomas Sumner on 2nd October 1951 at Sir G B Hunter Memorial Hospital in Wallsend, Northumberland, England, as the eldest of four children to his mother, Audrey, and his father, Ernest Matthew Sumner. His dad was an engineer who later opened a dairy shop and his mum was a hairdresser. His siblings are Philip Sumner, Angela Sumner, and Anita Sumner. He grew up near Wallsend’s shipyards, which made an impression on him. He is British by nationality and his ethnic background is mixed as he is of English descent with distant Irish and Scottish roots. Sting was inspired by the Queen Mother waving at him from a Rolls-Royce to divert from the shipyard prospect towards a more glamorous life. His obsession with the guitar started when he got one from one of his family friends. Sting celebrates his 71st birthday in 2022.
For his education, Sting attended St Cuthbert’s Grammar School in Newcastle upon Tyne. After leaving school in 1969, he enrolled at the University of Warwick in Coventry. After working as a bus conductor, building laborer, and tax officer, he attended the Northern Counties College of Education (now Northumbria University) from 1971 to 1974 and qualified as a teacher. He taught at St Paul’s First School in Cramlington for two years.
Sting’s music career
- Sting initially performed jazz in the evenings, on weekends, and during breaks from college and teaching, playing with the Phoenix Jazzmen, Newcastle Big Band, and Last Exit.
- He moved from Newcastle to London in January 1977. There, he joined Stewart Copeland and Henry Padovani (soon replaced by Andy Summers) to form “The Police”. “Synchronicity” was their final album. Later, the group agreed to concentrate on solo projects. It was in 2007, the band did reform and undertook The Police Reunion Tour. In 2003, the band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
- He managed to make his film debut in the 1982 film “Brimstone & Tackle”. His first solo album, “The Dream of the Blue Turtles” was released in 1985. It included the hit singles “If You Love Somebody Set Them Free” (backed with the non-LP song “Another Day”), “Fortress Around Your Heart”, “Love Is the Seventh Wave” and “Russians”. Within a year, the album reached Triple Platinum.
- He enjoyed greater success with his later albums like “Nothing Like the Sun” (1987), “The Soul Cages” (1991), “Ten Summoner’s Tales” (1993), and “Mercury Falling (1996).
- In the year 1999, he released his most popular solo album to date, “Brand New Day”.
- In 2003, Sting released Sacred Love, a studio album featuring collaborations with hip-hop artist Mary J. Blige and sitar performer Anoushka Shankar. In October 2006, he released an album entitled Songs from the Labyrinth featuring the music of John Dowland (an Elizabethan-era composer) and accompaniment from Bosnian lute player Edin Karamazov.
- Sting entered the studio in early February 2009 to begin work on a new album, If on a Winter’s Night…, released in October 2009.
- In 2013, he released the album “The Last Ship”. On 18 July 2016, Sting’s first rock album in many years was announced. “57th & 9th” was released on 11 November 2016.
- Sting’s fourteenth album, titled My Songs, was released on 24 May 2019. On 19 March 2021, Sting released Duets, a compilation album comprising 17 tracks of collaborations with various artists including Eric Clapton, Mary J. Blige, Shaggy, Annie Lennox, and Sam Moore.
- Sting released his fifteenth studio album The Bridge on 19 November 2021. It was preceded by the release of the lead single “If It’s Love” on 1 September 2021.
- In February 2022, Sting collaborated with Swedish DJ supergroup Swedish House Mafia, releasing a song and music video titled “Redlight”.
- The Wall Street Journal reported that Sting gave a private performance on January 17, 2023, for fifty top Microsoft executives at the 2023 World Economic Forum at Davos.
Who is Sting married to?
Sting is currently married to his wife, Trudie Styler on 20th August 1992 at Camden Registry Office. the couple had their wedding blessed two days later in the twelfth-century parish church of St Andrew in Great Durnford, Wiltshire, south-west England. The happily married pair is enjoying their present life a lot with their four kids.
Previously, Sting got married to actress Frances Tomelty on May 1, 1976. The couple was married for almost 8 years before getting divorced in 1984. He also had a brief encounter in the past with actress Peggy Trentini.
Sting and his present wife, Trudie is blessed with four children together – 2 sons named Jake (b. May 24, 1985) and Giacomo Luke (b. December 17, 1995), and daughters Brigitte Michael (b. January 19, 1984) and Eliot Pauline (b. July 30, 1990). With his ex-wife, Frances Tomelty, Sting has a son, Joseph (b. November 23, 1976), and a daughter named Fuchsia Katherine (b. April 17, 1982).
How much is Sting’s net worth?
Sting is an English musician, actor, real estate investor, and philanthropist. He was the lead singer and bassist of the wave rock band the Police from 1977 to 1984. His main source of welath comes from the music industry. He spends his money on real estate, cars, and charity work. He has helped out different charities throughout his career, such as Amazon Watch, American Cancer Society, American, Breast Cancer Research Foundation, Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS, Entertainment Industry Foundation, Muhammad Ali, Rush Philanthropic Arts Foundation, Save the Children and Save The Musi. He lives a lavish lifestyle from his earnings.
Sting has a net worth of $550 million as of 2023. He has appeared in commercials for brands like Compaq Computers (1999), Sprite, Roos Shoes, and Wrigley’s chewing gum (1977). Sting and his wife’s main home are Lake House which is a 16th-century manor house located in Wiltshire. The couple purchased it in 1990 and have lived there ever since. It’s set in an 800-acre estate and features everything from its own recording studio to a wine cellar and an organic farm. In 2008, Sting and Trudie paid $26.98 million for a 5,417-square-foot penthouse in the Central Park West area of New York City. They put this property on the market for $56 million in May 2017. It sold for $50 million a few months later.
How tall is Sting?
The musician, Sting is a handsome man witht he blue eyes color and his hair color is salt and pepper. He has a high-pitched raspy voice with spiky hair. He is very particular about his yoga workout. He also follows a healthy diet. He tries to avoid processed foods that contain preservatives and his diet mostly contains lots of grains and vegetables.
Sting stands at the height of 5 ft 11¼ in or 181 cm while his body weight consists of 80 kg or 176.5 lbs. He has got a healthy body with a charming smile.
Sting (Singer) – Bio, Net Worth, Age, Wife, Children, Family, Awards
- The View’s Ana Navarro answers claims she’s been using Ozempic to aid in her weight loss journey
- The Malicious Yo-yo
- April Lyda says she loves and supports her daughter
- 10,000+ Fruit Packaging Jobs In Canada, Apply June 2023
- President Joe Biden Takes a Tumble at U.S. Air Force Academy Graduation Ceremony, Reportedly Unhurt |