Sheryl Lee Ralph is an American actress, and singer who is best known for her role as Deidra “Dee” Mitchell (née Moss) in the UPN sitcom “Moesha“, Maggie Turner in the sitcom “Instant Mom”, Hayden Montgomery in the CBS police procedural crime drama series “Criminal Minds”, Maggie Foster in the sitcom “George”, Felicia Hollingsworth in the semi-autobiographical comedy series “One Mississippi”, President Kelly Wade in the Freeform supernatural drama series “Motherland: Fort Salem”, and Vicki St. James in the ABC sitcom “New Attitude”. Sheryl is the wife of Vincent Hughes and mother of two children; Etienne and Ivy with her ex-husband, Eric Maurice.
Sheryl made her screen debut in the 1977 comedy film “A Piece of the Action”. Currently, she stars as Barbara Howard on the ABC mockumentary sitcom “Abbott Elementary”, for which she won Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series at the 74th Primetime Emmy Awards, and became the first Black woman to win the award in 35 years. In 2023, she performed “Lift Every Voice and Sing”, also known as the Black national anthem, at the Super Bowl LVII pre-show.
What is Sheryl Lee Ralph’s ethnicity?
Sheryl Lee Ralph took birth on 30th December 1955 which makes her the present age of 66 as of 2022. Her birthplace is in Waterbury, Connecticut, USA. She was raised between Mandeville, Jamaica, and Long Island. Born to American parents, she holds American nationality while her ethnicity is mixed as she is of African-American and African-Jamaican (including Cameroonian) descent. Sheryl is the daughter of her father, Stanley Ralph, and her mother, Ivy Ralph. Her dad is a college professor and her mum is a Jamaican fashion designer and the creator of the kariba suit. She also has a younger brother, Michael Ralph who is an actor, voice actor, and comedian.
Sheryl went to attend Uniondale High School in Uniondale, New York. She graduated in 1972. She starred in a high-school production of musical Oklahoma!, portraying Ado Annie. She was crowned Miss Black Teen-age New York in 1971. At 19, Ralph was the youngest woman to ever graduate from Rutgers University. Also, she served as the commencement speaker at Rutgers for the Class of 2003.
Sheryl Lee Ralph’s Acting Career
- Sheryl Lee Ralph made her movie debut appearing in the crime comedy film “A Piece of the Action” in 1977. After that, she made several appearances in television shows, such as “Good Times”, “Wonder Woman” and “The Jeffersons”. Next, she landed a role in the Broadway production “Reggae” (1980) and was later portrayed as Deena Jones in the original Broadway musical “Dreamgirls” (1981). She was also in the cast of the CBS daytime soap opera “Search for Tomorrow” while she was starring in “Dreamgirls”.
- As a singer, Sheryl released her only studio album “In the Evening” in 1984.
- Next, she landed the leading role of Ginger St. James on the television series “It’s a Living” (1980-1982) which was then followed by “Oliver & Company” in 1988, “The Mighty Quinn” in 1989, “New Attitude” in 1990, “To Sleep with Anger” in 1990, “Mistress” in 1992″, “Designing Women” in 1992, “The Distinguished Gentleman”, “Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit” in 1993, “Moesha” (1996-2001).
- She also had roles in The Flintstones, Deterrence, and Unconditional Love in the 1990s. Likewise, she has provided the voice of the Cheetah in Justice League and Justice League Unlimited. She also appeared on the Showtime series “Barbershop” as Claire.
- After then, she brought a new face to the sufferings of war in the NBC hit series “ER”. In addition to this, she starred in “Baby of the Family” in 2002, MTV’s “My Super Sweet 16”, BET’s “Baldwin Hills”, “The First Wives Club” in 2009, NBC’s show “Smash” in 2013, “Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn” in 2014. Whereas her recent TV appearances include the TNT dramedy Claws, and on the Nickelodeon sitcom Instant Mom as Stephanie’s (Tia Mowry-Hardrict’s) mother.
- Ralph appeared as one of the main characters, Rose, in the television series “Fam” from January 10 to April 11, 2019. She joined the new hit sitcom “Abbott Elementary” in 2022.
- In 2023, she performed “Lift Every Voice and Sing”, also known as the Black national anthem, at the Super Bowl LVII pre-show.
How much is Sheryl Lee Ralph’s net worth?
Sheryl Lee Ralph is a successful actress who has appeared in several movies and TV series including It’s a Living, New Attitude, Moesha, and more. Most recently, she performed “Lift Every Voice and Sing” at the Super Bowl LVII pre-show. She reportedly made nothing for singing “Lift Every Voice and Sing” at the Super Bowl 2023, between the Philadelphia Eagles and the Kansas City Chiefs. According to Forbes, the large production is merely just promotion for the artists as a free commercial for headlining acts, one that airs in front of more than 100 million people worldwide. She is a very hardworking and dedicated woman. She started off her acting journey when she was 19.
As of 2023, the net worth of Sheryl Lee Ralph is estimated to have $5 million. She made this fortune from the entertainment industry which is her main source of wealth. At the moment, she is living a lavish lifestyle and she also has a collection of branded cars.
Who is Sheryl Lee Ralph’s husband?
Sheryl Lee Ralph is a married woman when it comes to her marital status. On July 30, 2005, she got married to Pennsylvania State Senator, Vincent Hughes at the First African Methodist Episcopal Church in Los Angeles. The couple is living a happy life and there is no sign of divorce between them.
Previously, the actress was married to Eric Maurice who was a businessman and an art collector. They tied the knot in 1990 and they were blessed with two children – a son named Etienne Maurice (b. 1992) and a daughter named Ivy Maurice (b. 1995). Sheryl and Eric divorced in 2001.
How tall is Sheryl Lee Ralph?
Sheryl Lee Ralph is a beautiful actress. She has black curly hair with a pair of dark brown eyes. She has high cheekbones with a dimpled smile. She has got amazing acting skills and an attractive personality.
Sheryl stands at the perfect height of 5 ft 7 in or 170 cm whereas her body weight consists of 68 kg or 150 lbs. She has a voluptuous body build. Her body measurements are 34-26-36 inches, including her bra size 34C, waist size 26 inches, and hip size 36 inches. She wears a 9.5 (US) shoe size and 8 (US) dress size.
Sheryl Lee Ralph – Bio, Net Worth, Husband, Family, Age, Awards, Facts
- The View’s Ana Navarro answers claims she’s been using Ozempic to aid in her weight loss journey
- The Malicious Yo-yo
- April Lyda says she loves and supports her daughter
- 10,000+ Fruit Packaging Jobs In Canada, Apply June 2023
- President Joe Biden Takes a Tumble at U.S. Air Force Academy Graduation Ceremony, Reportedly Unhurt |