Matt Doherty is an Irish professional football player. He is best known for playing in the position of right-back for La Liga club Atlético Madrid and the Republic of Ireland national team. On 31st January 2023, Spurs terminated his contract so he could join La Liga side Atlético Madrid. He will wear shirt number 12 at Atlético Madrid. The footballer is also the proud father of two children with his beautiful wife, Nikkea Amerie.
Matt, in 2010, was spotted by the club, Wolverhampton Wanderers while he was playing for the Irish club Bohemians during pre-season. The club then signed him and gained senior football experience with loan spells at Hibernian and Bury. He made 302 appearances for the club in all competitions playing for ten years (2010–2020). After representing the Republic of Ireland U21s, Doherty received his first call-up to the senior Republic of Ireland squad in 2016. The Irish footballer was eligible to play for the Netherlands. Although, Matt made up his mind to represent (Ireland), the country of his Dad. His nickname includes – Matt, Doc or Doctor, and Doherto Carlos.
Who are the parents of Matt Doherty?
Matt Doherty was born on January 16, 1992, in Swords, Dublin, the capital city of Ireland to a middle-class family. Matthew James Doherty is his full name which he got from his parents at the time of his birth. Talking about his nationality and ethnicity, Matt holds Irish citizenship and he belongs to the Irish-Dutch ethnical race as his mother is of Dutch descent. His age turned from 30 to 31 celebrating his birthday on January 16, 2023. He is the son of his father, Tom Doherty, and his mother, Joni Doherty. His parents run a business and they are the proud owners of Aqua-Dry, a carpet cleaning business in Dublin. The family business started long before Matt Doherty’s siblings were born. He was raised by his parents along with six siblings. Five of his siblings are sisters namely Hannah, Rachel, Naomi, Rebecca, and Deborah while one is a brother namely Timmy Doherty. He is the third-born child of his family while his younger brother, Timmy, is the fifth-born child. Since his kid age, he was a fan of the club, Arsenal.
Starting his early career with football, Matt gave up school to chase a football dream. He completed his eight-year primary school in his Irish hometown, Swords. Lager, he gave up his secondary school. He ended his education after his junior certification. During his schooling days, two sports were his favorite. The first is golf, and the second is football. During his mid-teens, he was rejected by 15 Scottish and British football teams. Due to this, he even worked in his father’s carpet cleaning business. Later, he again switched his career back to football. During his youth career, he played for the teams – Swords Celtic, Home Farm, Belvedere, and Bohemians.
Matt Doherty Football Career
- The football club, Wolverhampton Wanderers spotted Matt Doherty’s football skills while he was playing for Bohemians in 2010. Soon, he was invited for a trial and then signed a two-year deal (with the option of a further year) to move to the English club for a reported £75,000 fee.
- Following his club contract, he made his Wolves debut on 8 January 2011 against Doncaster Rovers playing in the position of defender. He then made his premier league debut on 24th September 2011 at Liverpool.
- After then, he was loaned to Scottish Premier League club Hibernian for the latter part of the 2011–12 season in January 2012. His final game of the loan spell was the 2012 Scottish Cup Final, against Edinburgh derby.
- Matt was again loaned out in October 2012 when he joined League One club, Bury, in a three-month deal. He made his team debut against Swindon Town. Later, he was sent back to his parent team in January 2013.
- In September 2013, Doherty signed a new contract with the team. On 26 September 2017, he signed a new contract keeping him at Wolves until the summer of 2021. On 15 February 2018, he signed a new contract that would keep him at the club until the summer of 2023,
- He marked his 300th appearance for the club (in all competitions) in their last league game of the 2019–20 season away to Chelsea on 26 July 2020. His 302nd and final appearance of the ten-year spell was in the 2019–20 UEFA Europa League quarter-final against Sevilla on 11 August before moving to Tottenham Hotspur.
- Doherty was sold to Tottenham Hotspur for £13.4 million on 30th August 2020 with a four-year contract deal. He made his team debut on 13 September in a 1–0 home defeat by Everton. On 26th February 2022, he scored his first goal for Tottenham in a Premier League clash against Leeds United at Elland Road.
- The collateral ligament injury, on 9 April 2022 in a winning game against Aston Villa, kept him out of action for the rest of the season. After the recovery, Matt scored his first goal of the 2022-23 season on 4th January 2023 against Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park.
- The club, Tottenham Hotspur terminated his contract on 31st January 2023 with the team so that he could join La Liga side, Atlético Madrid.
- Matt Doherty, an international footballer, has represented his nation, the Republic of Ireland in the levels – U19, and U21 and currently playing for the country since 2018. Doherty, being born in Ireland, was also eligible to play for the Netherlands as his mother is Dutch.
- Matt received his first call-up to the senior Republic of Ireland squad on 11 March 2016, for Ireland’s friendlies against Switzerland and Slovakia. On 23rd March 2018, Matt made his senior debut on 23 March 2018, in a 1–0 defeat to Turkey.
- He then made his gameplay in an Ireland starting XI for the first time in the Republic’s UEFA Nations League match with Denmark in Dublin on 13 October 2018.
- On 16th November 2020, the Football Association of Ireland announced that Doherty had tested positive for COVID-19 after playing a full game against Wales at the Cardiff City Stadium.
Matt Doherty Awards, Honors, and Achievements
- Scottish Cup runner-up: 2011–12
- EFL Championship: 2017–18
- Football League One: 2013–14
- EFL Cup runner-up: 2020–21
- Wolverhampton Wanderers Player of the Year: 2015–16
- Professional Footballers’ Association Fans’ Premier League Player of the Month: September 2018
Matt Doherty Transfer News
- Atlético Madrid on 31 Jan 2023 for free
- Tottenham Hotspur on 30 Aug 2020 for the fee of 16.8M €
- Wolverhampton on 4 Jan 2013 at the end of the loan
- Bury AFC on 4 Oct 2012 on loan
- Wolverhampton on 20 May 2012 at the end of the loan
- Hibernian on 31 Jan 2012 on loan
- Wolverhampton on 22 Aug 2010 for the fee of 90k €
- Bohemian on 1 Jul 2009 From Belvedere FC
Matt Doherty Fifa 23
- Matt Doherty has an impressive overall FIFA 2023 rating of 77. His potential rating is 77 at the time of writing.
Who is Matt Doherty married to?
Matt Doherty is a married man when it comes to the question of marital status. He tied the knot to his beautiful black lady with enormous beauty whose name goes by Nikkea Amerie. He fell in love with a woman from a different ethnical race. His wife, Nikkea, is accepted by his family of Matt. Nikkea first came to the public appearance during Matt’s EFL trophy celebration.
The happily married couple are also the proud parents of two children. Their first daughter, Nya-Rose Doherty was born on 24th July 2017. Nya-Rose got her younger sister, Sia Doherty on 15th January 2019. The sisters have a close relationship. Matt has a beautiful love bond with their daughters. Matt does not have a son. Having a son is one of his biggest desires.
How tall is Matt Doherty?
Matt Doherty is a handsome man with a glowing face and a charming smile. He has an athletic body type. The footballer has a brown colored eye while his hair color is also brown in color. He has a very stylish haircut. He has also kept a short-length beard which suits him perfectly. He is a naturally quiet, cool, calm, collected, and friendly person. His playing style and attractive gameplay have impressed millions of followers towards him.
Matt Doherty stands at the perfect height of 1.86 m and he has a bodyweight that consists of 80 KG. He is a fitness freak and he loves to exercise to maintain his body. He frequently hits the gym to be fit. He avoids junk food and he is very strict with his diet.
What is Matt Doherty’s Net Worth?
Matt Doherty is a professional footballer who has come on a long football journey starting from an early age. During his career, he has played with the reputed football team including Wolverhampton Wanderers, Hibernian, and Tottenham Hotspur before joining Atletico Madrid. He signed for Atletico Madrid after Tottenham Hotspur terminated his contract by mutual agreement on 31st January 2023. Back on 30 August 2020, he was sold to Tottenham Hotspur for £13.4 million with no add-ons and signed a four-year deal. From the club, Tottenham, he was making an annual average salary of £3,400,000. He earned a base salary of £3,400,000 while carrying a cap hit of £3,400,000. His main source of wealth comes from his football career while he is making a decent sum of income from sponsors. He has a boot-based sponsorship deal with Nike. The player exclusively used Nike Mercurial Vapor 14 Elite in the 2021-22 season.
Matt Doherty’s net worth is estimated to be between $5 million – $10 million in 2023. He made this fortune from the football industry. From his career earnings, he is living a luxurious lifestyle. When it comes to his car, he has not revealed his personal care but has bought a fancy car for his wife, Nikkea. Right now, he lives in a big lavish house.
Matt Doherty (Footballer) – Bio, Net Worth, Family, Salary, Facts, Age
- The View’s Ana Navarro answers claims she’s been using Ozempic to aid in her weight loss journey
- The Malicious Yo-yo
- April Lyda says she loves and supports her daughter
- 10,000+ Fruit Packaging Jobs In Canada, Apply June 2023
- President Joe Biden Takes a Tumble at U.S. Air Force Academy Graduation Ceremony, Reportedly Unhurt |