Lucy Liu is an award-winning American actress known for her roles in both film and television. She gained widespread recognition for her portrayal of Ling Woo on the hit television series “Ally McBeal” from 1998 to 2002. She also starred as Alex Munday in the “Charlie’s Angels” films and as Joan Watson in the crime-drama series “Elementary” from 2012 to 2019. In addition to her acting career, Liu has provided voice acting for several animated films and series, including the Kung Fu Panda franchise and the Tinker Bell series. Lucy is currently in a happy relationship with her boyfriend, Noam Gottesman.
Liu has also appeared in numerous films, including Payback, Shanghai Noon, Chicago, Kill Bill: Volume 1, Lucky Number Slevin, and The Man with the Iron Fists. Her recent film work includes Set It Up (2018) and the upcoming film Red One. In addition to her acting career, Liu has also worked as a director, directing several episodes of Elementary and an episode of Luke Cage.
Who are the parents of Lucy Liu?
Lucy Liu was born in Queens, New York on December 2, 1968, to her parents Cecilia and Tom Liu, who were originally from Beijing and Shanghai. Her mum worked as a biochemist and her dad is a trained civil engineer who sold digital clock pens. She is American by nationality and she belongs to mixed ethnicity as she is of Han Chinese origin. Her present age is 54 as she celebrated her recent birthday on 2nd December 2022. She is the youngest of three children and grew up in a diverse neighborhood. She has an older brother, John, and an older sister, Jenny. Her parents worked multiple jobs while raising her and her siblings. She learned to speak Mandarin at home and started studying English at the age of five. She also studied the martial art kali-eskrima-silat as a hobby during her childhood.
After attending Joseph Pulitzer Middle School and graduating from Stuyvesant High School, Liu enrolled at New York University before transferring to the University of Michigan. She joined the Chi Omega sorority and earned a degree in Asian languages and cultures. During her time in college, Liu began auditioning for acting roles and later moved to Los Angeles to pursue a career in entertainment.
Lucy Liu’s Acting Career (Movies and TV shows)
- Lucy Liu’s acting career began at the age of 19 when she was discovered by an agent while traveling on the subway. Her first appearance was in a commercial. She auditioned for the University of Michigan’s production of “Alice in Wonderland” in 1989 and was cast in the lead. She also had small roles in films and TV before making her big-screen debut in the Hong Kong film “Rhythm of Destiny” in 1992. In 1997, she landed a role in “Ally McBeal” and her character, Ling Woo, was created specifically for her. She earned a Primetime Emmy Award nomination for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series for her role on the show.
- Lucy Liu then starred in “Charlie’s Angels” in 2000, alongside Drew Barrymore and Cameron Diaz. She also became the spokeswoman for the Lee National Denim Day fundraiser in 2001, which raises money for breast cancer research and education. In the same year, she played Rita Foster in Vincenzo Natali’s “Brainstorm” and won an MTV Award for Best Movie Villain for her role as O-Ren Ishii in Quentin Tarantino’s 2003 film, “Kill Bill”. Liu is also an artist in several media, including painting, photography, and collage mixed media, and has had several gallery shows showcasing her work. She has also donated her share of the profits to UNICEF from her art shows and her book, “Seventy Two”.
- In 2006, Liu received an “Asian Excellence Award” for Visibility and hosted an MTV documentary, “Traffic”, for the MTV EXIT campaign. She also produced and narrated the short film “The Road to Traffik” in 2008 and partnered with producers on the documentary film “Redlight”. Liu appeared in several films in 2007, including “Code Name: The Cleaner”, “Rise: Blood Hunter”, and “Watching the Detectives”. She also played Nola Lyons, a series regular on “Dirty Sexy Money”, and voicing Silvermist in Disney Fairies and Viper in “Kung Fu Panda”.
- Lucy made her Broadway debut in March 2010 in the Tony Award-winning play “God of Carnage”. In 2012, she was cast as Joan Watson in “Elementary”, an American Sherlock Holmes adaptation, for which she gained praise, including three consecutive nominations for the People’s Choice Awards for Favorite TV Crime Drama Actress. She also played police officer Jessica Tang on “Southland” and won the Critics’ Choice Television Award for Best Drama Guest Actress. Liu has directed several episodes of “Elementary,” an episode of “Graceland,” an episode of “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit,” and the second-season premiere of “Luke Cage.”
- She also became a narrator for “The Bullitts” in August 2011 and was invited to join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in 2013. She is part of the cast in the post-apocalyptic thriller “Future World”, directed by James Franco and Bruce Thierry Cheung. Her first national museum exhibition, “Unhomed Belongings,” was held at the National Museum of Singapore in early 2019.
- In April 2021, Liu was cast as the villainess Kalypso in the upcoming superhero film “Shazam! Fury of the Gods.” In 2022, she was cast to voice a role in the Walt Disney Animation Studios film “Strange World”, and in Jake Kasdan’s upcoming film “Red One”.
Lucy Liu Awards and Achievements
- Won Screen Actors Guild Award for her role in Ally McBeal in 1998
- Won Blockbuster Entertainment Award for her work in Shanghai Noon
- Won Broadcast Film Critics Association Award for her role in Chicago
- Won MTV Movie Award for her role in Kill Bill: Volume 1
- Won New York Women in Film & Television Muse Award for her role in Elementary
Lucy Liu Husband: Is she married?
Lucy Liu is unmarried and she does not have a husband. But she is currently in a relationship with her partner/boyfriend, Noam Gottesman, an Israeli-American hedge-fund manager. The couple has been together for over six years and prefers to keep their relationship out of the public eye. They rarely make public appearances together and have managed to maintain their privacy despite their individual celebrity status. Despite being in a long-term relationship, the duo has not tied the knot yet. They seem content with their relationship as it is and continue to support each other in their respective careers.
In August 2015, Lucy Liu announced the birth of her son, Rockwell Lloyd, who was born through surrogacy. As a devoted mother, she has focused on raising her son while balancing her busy acting career. She has shared several heartwarming moments with her son on social media, and it is clear that motherhood has brought immense joy to her life. Although she does not have any other children at the moment, Lucy remains committed to raising her son with love and care while making strides in her career.
Lucy Liu has had a few notable romantic relationships in the past. She briefly dated George Clooney in 2000, and they rekindled their romance in 2006. She got engaged to screenwriter Zach Helm in 2004 but the engagement was called off. She also reportedly had a short-lived fling with Ukrainian boxer Klitschko in 2008 and dated actor/screenwriter Will McCormack for several years.
What is Lucy Liu’s net worth?
Lucy Liu’s impressive net worth of $16 million in 2023 is a result of her success as an actress, artist, director, and voice actress in the entertainment industry. She is known for her diverse range of roles in films and television series, and sources suggest that she earns around $130,000 per episode. Apart from acting, she has also lent her voice to several video games, including SSX Tricky, Sleeping Dogs, and Charlie’s Angels. With her talent and versatility, Lucy Liu’s net worth is expected to increase further if she continues to work both in front and behind the camera. She is living a lavish lifestyle from her career earnings. She has appeared in TV commercials for Revlon and print ads for Revlon’s Super Lustrous Lipstick and Revlon’s Hair Treatment products. Likewise, she has done endorsements for the brands such as Intel, SBC Internet service, OnStar, and Suntory Diet Beer. She has been featured in print ads for the popular Lee Jeans.
Her success is also reflected in her real estate investments. In 2005 and 2006, she purchased two units in a townhouse-style boutique in New York City for a total of $4.05 million. She later sold her home in Studio City, which she bought for $2.3 million in 2001 from actress Patricia Arquette, for $3.06 million in 2019. The Fryman Canyon property featured four bedrooms, a swimming pool, a sauna, and a media lounge, and boasted a “modern craftsman” aesthetic. Liu’s shrewd investments in real estate are another indication of her financial acumen and savvy decision-making skills.
What is Lucy Liu height?
Lucy Liu’s physical attributes include a height of 1.6 meters (5 feet 3 inches) and a weight of 50 kilograms (110 pounds). She has a body measurement of 34-23-34 inches (86-58.5-86 cm), dark brown hair, and porcelain skin with feline eyes. Her shoe size is 6 (US)/36 (EU). As a fitness enthusiast, Liu credits Pilates for helping her feel longer and leaner. She works with Jared Kaplan, who runs eco-chic Studio 26 in New York City, and also does Pilates workouts at home using an exercise ball. She also runs on her home treadmill and enjoys spinning classes for cardio. Meditation is also a part of her fitness routine for emotional and mental well-being. Liu follows a balanced diet, including a shake made from bananas and berries for breakfast and fish with steamed vegetables or salad for dinner. She also allows herself to indulge occasionally in pizza or pasta.
Her dedication to maintaining a balanced lifestyle is reflected in her fitness routine and diet. She emphasizes the importance of Pilates and cardio for physical fitness and meditation for mental and emotional well-being. Her diet includes healthy options like fruits, vegetables, and fish, while also allowing herself to cheat once in a while. Her disciplined approach to health and wellness is an inspiration to many, especially those who are looking to lead a healthy lifestyle.
Lucy Liu – Bio, Net Worth, Husband, Boyfriend, Age, Parents, Height
- The View’s Ana Navarro answers claims she’s been using Ozempic to aid in her weight loss journey
- The Malicious Yo-yo
- April Lyda says she loves and supports her daughter
- 10,000+ Fruit Packaging Jobs In Canada, Apply June 2023
- President Joe Biden Takes a Tumble at U.S. Air Force Academy Graduation Ceremony, Reportedly Unhurt |