We all saw what just happened in Ohio on attempts to raise the threshold for an abortion amendment to the state constitution. Well, in Florida, there’s a petition drive to pass a similar constitutional amendment. It says, “No law shall prohibit, penalize, delay, or restrict abortion before viability or when necessary to protect the patient’s health, as determined by the patient’s health care provider.” Via Diane Roberts at the Florida Phoenix:
Organizers have said they’ve collected nearly half a million signatures they need to put the proposal on next year’s ballot.
To pass here, the measure needs the approval of 60 percent of voters. That is tough, but things could get worse in the future.
Some Republicans want the threshold raised to 66.67 percent. A bill mandating that change be put to a constitutional vote died in committee this past legislative session; however, like so many very bad ideas cherished by the venal dolts who claim to represent us, it is likely to be back next year.
Ain’t that just like Republicans? They can’t win on the issues, so they just keep changing the rules until they work in their favor.
But there’s reason to hope, Roberts says. Ohio’s state government, like Florida’s, is entirely owned by Republican extremists. But the abortion issue may yet slow their plans to turn America into a “white Christo-fascist autocracy.”
FL Abortion Rights Activists Pushing For Constitutional Amendment
- Married At First Sight Australian star Jessika Power signs up for a major British reality show and will come face to face with the love rival who stole her husband
- ‘Real Housewives of Potomac’ Season 8 Trailer Teases Divorce Drama & Tears
- Episode 3062: Who Really Is Governing You
- Episode 3061: House Committee Starts Impeachment Inquiry Into The Bidens
- Lisa Marie Waldron sentenced for killing Jordan Brooks